Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Book Lust - Nancy Pearl

Basically a list, this is a clever little book from a librarian whom I've often heard on NPR, highlighting what she terms as books that flew under the radar.

I've read a lot of what she mentions, and strongly disagree with some of them (see American Pastoral) but what I love is her directing me to out-of-print and/or favor books and authors I've never even heard of before. Through half.com, I've tracked down a few--The Girls From the Five Great Valleys, by Elizabeth Savage, a novel from the late '70's, set in 1934 in one of my favorite places in the entire world: Missoula, Montana; a couple by Hamilton Basso, who was an editor at The New Yorker for many years--before my time, admittedly, but totally unknown to me.

Pearl has a second volume, which I have yet to dip into.

Highly recommended for its sheer eclecticity--there is something here for every taste.

No comments: