Wednesday, February 18, 2009

etc./Kindle 2=Evil

I'm being wooed.

I hear it now, calling to me, and it knows my real name. Big fat (okay, no, slim 10.2 ounces) evil bastard.

Now holds 1500 books. Better graphics. Better techie things I don't understand. Downloads instant gratification--hear the review on NPR, a couple of minutes later: book--like having a literary crack dealer on retainer. The extra space I'd have in the real world, the trees I'd save!

But, with cover and 2 year service plan, an utterly ridiculous 450 or so bucks. Absurd!

Amazon is trying to corner the market and thus pressure publishers to reduce their pricing on ebooks. And, as much as I love the big A, Jeff Bezos is starting to look a wee bit too smug for my taste.

truly, I know I don't need it, I really do.

I mean, I don't even have an iPod, and I love music. I have a pay-as-you go emergency cell phone that does nothing but make calls.

But, I will get approximately $525 back as a tax refund. It knows this as well.

Melissa has suggested that I tell myself all these negatives . . . and then buy it anyway.

She, and Mr. Evil Kindle Numeral both know me all too well.

La, la, la! I can't hear you, you evil bastard device! la, la, la

2 comments:

Mel said...

Remember...

No ability to trade copies with your fellow book lovers.

If you love the story you know you're going to spend more money and buy the physical book anyway.

And finally, just do what you want! Ha! Ha!

writer-reader said...

Melly,

I love how truly helpful you are!

but, okay, you're correct, too.